RBA’s 16th Annual Pillsbury Baker’s Plus Grand Champion
Creative Decorating Competition
Creativity will take the stage at the The Americas Cake Fair in Orlando in October 2017. Five of the country's top professional teams made up of amazing cake decorators will challenge each other in a contest of imagination, artistry and skill over a two-day period during one of baking’s most prestigious competitions.
The competition is open to all professional cake decorators or pastry chefs who are currently working full- or part-time in a cake/cupcake shop, retail or supermarket bakery and have at least two years of decorating experience.
Contestants may enter this year’s competition one of two ways. Decorators can compete in a local, state or regional RBA sponsored contest. If no contest is available in their area, decorators may submit a portfolio for consideration online at info@RetailBakersofAmerica.org
Application by portfolio should be received by July 1, 2017 and should include two images from each of the three competition categories: wedding cake, rolled fondant and sculpted cakes. Contestants will be notified of their acceptance by August 1, 2017.
The five teams will consist of regional winners and top portfolio entries, and will compete in all three categories. Cake, icing and fondant will be provided on site, but contestants must bring their own tools and specialty items. There is no limitation on the use of molds, impression mats and fondants rollers, which can be used in all categories.
The highest scoring individual, as determined by a panel of judges, will be awarded the coveted Pillsbury Baker’s Plus Grand Champion Trophy. Gold, silver and bronze medals, along with cash prizes will also be awarded for the highest three scores in each category. All contestants will be provided with three nights of lodging and up to $400 for travel to Orlando.
1. Decorators must be professional cake decorators or pastry chefs working in a retail or supermarket bakery. RBA membership is encouraged but not required. Contestants for the CDC will include the top decorators from regional affiliate competitions and portfolio winner(s) from decorators in areas without competitions. Contestants can compete for a maximum of 5 years’ total.
2. Contestants will compete as a team of two decorators. Team members may come from the same bakery, family members or a member of the local affiliate if chosen through an RBA affiliate regional competition.
3. Contestants will receive complimentary hotel and travel. Hotel accommodations will be arranged by RBA. RBA will pay for up to three nights of hotel at a hotel chosen by RBA. Contestants may arrange for additional nights at their own expense. Contestants should book or arrange their own travel and will be reimbursed for up to $400 per person for travel.
4. Contestants must attend the “Contestant Orientation” scheduled Friday, October 13.
5. All professional contestants will complete together on all days. Preparation time is added to the schedule. Contestants will draw a number to designate a work station.
6. Contestants must complete designated categories on each day. Details will be provided before the competition.
7. All decorative work must be constructed during the contest hours and in the contest area. No pre-fabricated decorative pieces, other than those provided by RBA or otherwise specified, will be allowed.
8. No offensive cake designs or adult themed cakes. No copyrighted designs.
9. Judges will evaluate finished pieces using the procedures developed by the judges and other members associated with the contest. All judge’s decisions will be final.
10. The first place Grand Champion Trophy winner may not compete again in the affiliate or RBA Creative Decorating Competition for 5 years.
You will need to include pictures of 2 wedding cakes, 2 fondant special occasion cakes and 2 sculpted cakes.
Creative Decorating Competition
Retail Bakers of America
15941 Harlem Avenue, #347, Tinley Park, IL 60477
Copyright © Retail Bakers of America.